So you’ve successfully grown basil in your Grow Pod 2… what better way to use it than making your own pesto? No fancy expensive ingredients needed; Here is the Seed Pantry variation on the classic.
Don’t feel confined to pesto pasta! This versatile recipe is great in sandwiches, added to salads, alongside plain-cooked fish, smeared over roasted vegetables, dolloped and stirred into soup or as a simple dip with crudités. You can use other herbs in pesto too, mint works brilliantly, as do stronger herbs such as sage or thyme, although these are best combined with parsley so they don’t overpower the more subtle flavours in the sauce.
|– 50g breadcrumbs|
– 50g basil, leaves only (or 25g each Basil and Parsley)
– 35g strong cheddar, grated
– ½ garlic clove, peeled and chopped
– 100-150ml rapeseed or olive oil
– A good pinch of sea salt and black pepper
How to do it
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Scatter the breadcrumbs on a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes until dry and golden, checking them frequently towards the end as they burn quite quickly. Tip on to a plate and allow to cool.
- Place the toasted breadcrumbs into a food processor, along with the basil, parsley, garlic and cheese and blitz to a paste.
- With the machine running on low speed, slowly pour in the oil until you have a thick purée.
- Scrape your pesto into a bowl, and season to taste with a little salt and pepper.
Try replacing the breadcrumbs with toasted pine nuts or walnuts. Walnuts can be lightly toasted in an oven preheated to 180°C/Gas mark 4 for 5-8 minutes. For the pine nuts, place them in a dry frying pan and toast over a medium heat for a few minutes, tossing frequently. One they’ve turned golden brown, remove them from the pan to stop them from burning and leave to cool.
The Seed Pantry team 🌼
BUY your own Seed Pantry Grow Pod 2 here…
For a chance to win a lucky-dip addition to your next box, share your plant pictures with us on Instagram by using the hashtag #SeedPantryGrowClub or tagging @seedpantry
Subscribe to the Grow Club box for flowers, food and herb seeds ready to sow each month… Curious? Come check out all of this month’s options!